In time for the 2020 Summer Olympics, soon to be held in Tokyo Japan (in 2021), we have released a new version of the Media Topics vocabulary covering all Olympic sports.
As many MediaTopics users don’t use the sports facets system, we wanted to make sure that the top-level Olympic and Paralympic sports were all represented in the main Media Topics vocabulary.
To make this possible, we have made the following changes:
New and changed labels and definitions for Olympics and Paralympics
We have added the following new sport concepts, all under Competition Discipline:
- medtop:20001329 3×3 basketball
- medtop:20001330 canoe slalom
- medtop:20001331 canoe sprint
- medtop:20001332 bmx freesytle
- medtop:20001333 road cycling
- medtop:20001334 track cycling
- medtop:20001335 football 5-a-side
- medtop:20001336 goalball
We have “unretired” the following term, which was retired in 2017:
- medtop:20001077 marathon swimming
We have moved the following term:
- medtop:20000887 sport climbing to under “competition discipline”
In another major update we have added labels in French, Spanish and Arabic for most recently-added terms. Thanks to Anne Raynaud and her team at Agence France-Presse (AFP) for this contribution.
Another small change is that in the HTML tree view, we now mark retired concepts more clearly by visually striking out their labels and definitions.
We always welcome feedback on IPTC MediaTopics and the other NewsCodes vocabularies on the public discussion list firstname.lastname@example.org.