A solution for exchanging multimedia news
NewsML 1 is designed to provide a media-type-independent, structural framework for multi-media news. Beyond exchanging single items it can also convey packages of multiple items in a structures layout.
Since early 2008 the next version of NewsML has been available: NewsML-G2. You can obtain more information about this standard in the NewsML-G2 section. However some vendors and users continue to use NewsML 1.
NewsML 1 versions can be applied at all stages in the (electronic) news lifecycle.
Typical use would include:
- in and between editorial systems
- between news agencies and their customers
- between publishers and news aggregators
- and between news service providers and end users.
Because it is intended for use in electronic production, delivery and archiving it does not include specific provision for traditional paper-based publishing, though formats intended for this purpose – such as the News Industry Text Format (NITF)- can be accommodated. Similarly it is not primarily intended for use in editing or creating news content, though it may be used as a basis for systems doing this.
The need for NewsML came from the continuing growth in production, use and re-use of news throughout the world, with rapid expansion of the Internet being a strong driving force.
The IPTC provides a DTD and an XML Schema plus the Functional Specification.
Download a full NewsML 1.2 package (ZIP-file, ~ 3 MB, updated July 2008). This package contains all documentation papers as well as the specification files – for NewsML 1.2 only.
- NewsML 1.2 Guidelines V 1.1 (updated July 2008) a comprehensive documentation for users and implementers.
- Structural overview of the DTD (as PDF): this document provides a tree-like structure of all elements specified by NewsML, ~ 20 pages.
- Internally linked structure documentation (updated July 2008) – derived from the XML-Schema (as HTML). This document provides much more details to the elements and enables the user to navigate through the NewsML structure.
Download a full NewsML 1.2 package (ZIP-file, ~ 3 MB, last updated July 2008). This package contains all documentation papers as well as the specification files for NewsML 1.2 only.
The IPTC Developer Site provides technical information about NewsML 1.
The NewsML 1 Users Forum is used to share experiences, raise questions and recommend and discuss changes to the NewsML 1 standard. It also connects companies and organisations who use SportsML-G2 and vendors who create tools that process NewsML 1 documents.