A high-level framework for the news ecosystem
Used by the world's leading news organisations
The IPTC News Architecture is a high-level framework for the news ecosystem. It defines the concepts, relationships and processes that power news creation, distribution and consumption.
Developed over 20 years by many of the world’s biggest and most prestigious news organisations, the IPTC News Architecture has stood the test of time and has proven that it can be adapted to many different news contexts – from press releases to live breaking news to interactive experiences, and everything in between.
The IPTC News Architecture (NAR) is…
- Flexible – the same basic concepts can be adapted and re-used for many different contexts and different types of news content
- Platform independent – the main standard implementing the NAR is IPTC’s NewsML-G2, implementing using XML, but all IPTC standards fit into the framework, including SportsML, ninjs (News in JSON), rNews (IPTC’s semantic web model for news), the NewsCodes and even parts of the IPTC Photo Metadata Standard.
- Progressive – the level and richness of detail can be adjusted according to users’ needs.
- Always evolving – the IPTC News Architecture Working Group continuously updates and maintains the standard, ensuring that it can support new developments in the news industry. For example, some of the latest enhancements include support for trust and credibility in news reporting, created in collaboration with The Trust Project and RSF’s Journalism Trust Initiative.
Photo Metadata Conference 2023 - open to the public
- To be confirmed
- To be confirmed
IPTC Autumn Meeting 2023 - for IPTC members
- 2 - 4 October, 2023
IPTC Spring Meeting 2024 - for IPTC members
- New York City, USA and online
- 15 - 17 April 2024 (TBC)
Following the recent announcements of Google’s signalling of generative AI content and Midjourney and Shutterstock the day after, Microsoft has now announced that it will also be signalling the provenance of content created by Microsoft’s generative AI tools such as Bing Image Creator. Microsoft’s efforts go one step beyond those of Google and Midjourney, because […]