Job Opportunity: Managing Director of IPTC
The IPTC is seeking applications for the next Managing Director of our organization. We are the global standards body of the news media and provide the technical foundation for the news ecosystem. Our mission is to simplify the distribution of information. We develop and promote efficient technical standards to improve the management and exchange of information between content providers, intermediaries and consumers.
The Managing Director, working with the Board and Membership, seeks to broaden adoption of IPTC standards, to maximize information sharing between members and to collaborate with partners across the news and media industry. The ideal applicant will have a strong record of working with news technology, presenting a positive image of an organization and administering a membership or non profit organization.
- Provide strategic advice to the Board and Chairperson so that they have accurate information about membership concerns, industry trends and the organization’s future
- Stay current on business and technical issues affecting the news and media industries
- Act as the prime public representative of the IPTC, in ways that strengthen its profile in the news and media industry
- Provide regular updates to the membership on IPTC work
- Develop membership retention and growth recommendations and turn these into actionable plans.
- Oversee the organization’s marketing and communication efforts, including its online presence – iptc.org and Twitter accounts.
- Manage the business affairs of the IPTC, including developing and monitoring the annual budget, overseeing the company accounts and ensuring the organization complies with all relevant regulations and legal requirements
- Coordinate the work of consultants and third party vendors
- Support the development of technical standards, including participating in the working group meetings and conference calls, as needed
- Fluency in written and spoken English, with other languages a plus
- Experience in planning, organizing and running events
- Knowledge of technological trends in the news and media industries
- Experience working with nonprofit, membership organizations or standards bodies
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to work from your own office, with travel to international meetings a few times a year
- Demonstrated diplomacy and consensus-building skills
- Experience in business management – including legal compliance
The Managing Director of the IPTC is a challenging and rewarding role. We have some flexibility to tailor the position to suit the ideal candidate, including considering making this either a full time or part time position. The planned start date for the new Managing Director is 1st May 2018.
Applicants should email a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will start considering applications on 1st December 2017.